Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A big success and a big failure...in the kitchen.

For those of you who know me well enough, you know I am not a baker. I love that Pillsbury sells the ready made pie crust and chocolate chip cookies, because not matter how hard I try, mine just never turn out as good. But every once in a while, I get the itch to bake because I see a new recipe in a magazine. This one was drool worthy. It was these amazing pumpkin cookies made into ice cream sandwiches and rolled in mini chocolate chips. The picture in the magazine was literally mouthwatering.

So I thought, lets try, just one more time. (Keep in mind, I am already at a disadvantage seeing as I live at 4,000 ft altitude, which I believe constitutes "high altitude baking." But since I am not a baker, I am not really sure what to do different. I was willing to give it the good old college try, again).

It was a bust. They were too cakey tasting and not crisp enough. Chris said I needed to bake them longer. I don't know, they just did not turn out right. Once the cookies were paired with the ice cream and rolled in chocolate chips, they were worth the calories. But the cookies alone were not. Next time I am just buying cookies that are already baked for me. I should know better by now!

The recent success was homemade pizza! Chris is not a fan of (my) homemade pizza. He would much rather order Domino's, but what fun is that? When I was at the Commissary (the name of the military grocery store) last week I spotted Fleishmann's pizza crust dough yeast. You don't have to wait for it to rise. Just add all the ingredients and form into a ball and roll out. Super easy. AND SO GOOD! We added portobello mushrooms, pepperoni, hot italian sausage, mozzarella, provolone, and fresh parmesan cheese. It was so yummy! And Chris gave me the thumbs up! Sweet!

As I was just browsing the Fleishmann's website, I saw a picture of these really yummy looking Cinnamon Rolls. Maybe I will venture another try at baking - they just look SO good!

I guess I will learn - eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment