Saturday, April 24, 2010

Food for thought

Last night I watched the final episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. You can catch all of the episodes here on Hulu.com. I think it is pretty amazing what this guy is doing and it really seems to be making a difference.

I feel like I have been bitten by the healthy food bug since watching Food, Inc. We have always eaten pretty healthy, we are not people who go to McDonald's, Wendy's, or In-and-Out Burger every month. I would estimate we hit up those places once or twice a year. We cook at home a lot and make healthy meals. But after watching this food documentary on where our food comes from and how it gets to us has made me think more about the quality of what I am buying. Yes, regular (hormone filled) chicken and (corn fed) beef are cheaper, but as my Mom always told me: "You pay for what you get!"

The one story line that stood out to me in Food, Inc. that really made me change my purchasing habits was the story of the 2.5 year old toddler who died after eating a burger tainted with e-coli or salmonella (I cannot remember which one). I could really put myself in that Mother's shoes. That poor child passed away after eating a burger! And our Federal Government did not do a recall on that beef quickly, at all. Leaving an untold number of people exposed to this deadly germ. Crazy and yet so sad. I absolutely cannot imagine losing a child, but losing them because they ate a burger?

I encourage all of my friends and family to watch Food, Inc and Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution. They are so shocking. I would be surprised if these shows did not move you to make smarter choices too.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Molls! Great thoughts on this. I've read the books Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food, both by Michael Pollan and I feel alot of what Jaime Oliver talks about is directly from that book ... but all in all, it's great info on being informed of what we put in our bodies. Nikole and I are way more picky about what we buy and we aren't afraid to spend a bit more on the good stuff either.

    ReplyDelete