Sunday, June 12, 2011

The "Subcultures" of Life

When we lived in Virginia Beach I did a lot of running. I signed up for a ton of 5K's and 10K's. I've done 4 half-marathons and 1 full marathon. I love running. Full body workout, great for your cardiovascular system. I can't wait to get back into it. For Thanksgiving 2004, I signed Chris and myself up for the Turkey Trot. I thought it would be a fun way to get a run in before we stuffed ourselves full of Thanksgiving dinner.

This was Chris's first "organized" run. We drive up to Mount Trashmore and Park on the east side of the YMCA. For those of you familiar with Virginia Beach, you will understand this geography. We started heading to the race start line so we could get a good starting position and stretch our cold muscles. As we are walking over this little hill we see a crowd of people milling about, race numbers on, setting their iPods, and tying their shoes.

Chris stops, looks at me and says: I had no idea this subculture of the population ever existed.

I got a good laugh out of that. Ever since then, when we see unique groups of people all congregating for a specific purpose, like running in 40 degree cold on Thanksgiving morning, we joke about Chris's "subculture" epiphany.

This week, as I was reading through the website that my sister and I manage DailyMomReport.com, I clicked on a new video that she found and posted to the website. It brought me back to the "subcultures" of life. Surfing Dogs. It is so cute to see them doing this and the interviews with their owners is even cuter. Go to DailyMomReport.com and scroll down to the bottom middle column. There you will find the video's. There is a really cute cat and dolphin video that went viral this week too. I have been showing Michael these cute video's and he loves watching them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment